There are so many lists of foods around you that are said to boost your immunity, but understanding the nutrients that play a vital role in boosting your immunity and the foods they are present in is very important.
1. Vitamin C - Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and plays a very important role in our body. The antioxidants in the body help fight free radicals, which damage our immune system. Vitamin C also helps in boosting immunity in people who are under major stress.
Foods with vitamin C are - citrus fruits like lemon, orange, lime and other foods like kiwi, red and green bell peppers, amla, broccoli, strawberries, papaya, spinach, watermelon and sweet potatoes.
2. Zinc - Zinc again plays a very crucial role in our body as zinc is involved in the production of certain immune cells.
Foods high in Zinc are - flax and sunflower seeds, beans, cashew nuts, oysters, wheat germ.
3. Vitamin D - Adequate level of Vitamin D in your body is very essential for your immune system to work at a robust level.
Sources of Vitamin D are - Sunlight in the early morning hours without sunscreen, mushrooms, yogurt and other probiotics.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids - These essential fatty acids not only boost the immune system, but also suppress the inflammation in your body.
Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids are - oily fish (mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines), flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts and almonds, oils rich in Omega-3.
5. Vitamin E - Just like vitamin C, even Vitamin E is also a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin E plays a very important role in maintaining our immune system, especially among older people.
Foods rich in Vitamin are - Almonds, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, hazelnuts, wheat germ oil.
6. Carotenoids - Carotenoids are a class of pigments that are present in plants. These pigments when consumed, they convert into Vitamin A which helps in boosting and regulating the immune system.
Foods containing carotenoids are - carrots, papaya, mango, apricots, sweet potatoes, kale.
Now that you are aware of the nutrients involved in your immune mechanism, include these foods into your everyday diet and boost your immune system with these nutrient containing foods.