Bananas are a super fruit. Easily available everywhere, easy to eat, easy to digest, instant glucose and energy providers, suitable for everyone right from 6 month old to all age groups.
Where yellow ripen bananas are have all the qualities of being called a super fruit, the raw form of this fruit also comes with a host of nutritional benefits. Where raw bananas are mostly dejected for their unsweet taste, sticky texture and the efforts in peeling, these are mostly consumed cooked and are used in various cuisines to make mouth-watering delicacies.
Some of the health benefits of the nutrients present are listed below:
- Good source of resistant starch – This starch works more like fiber. This kind of starch in the diet, reduces the risk of diabetes by aiding in blood sugar control, reduced fat storage, improved insulin sensitivity, lower triglyceride and plasma cholesterol concentrations preventing heart disease.
- Good source of fiber – 1 cup serving of boiled raw banana provides 3.6gms of fiber. Essential for proper functioning of the digestive tract and bowel movement, reduces cholesterol. Ensures both digestive and heart health. Aids in weight loss.
- Potassium – 1 cup serving provides 531mg of potassium. Potassium aids in muscle movement, builds stronger bones, boost metabolism, proper functioning of the nerves, purification of blood by kidneys. Since potassium is a vasodilator, ensures blood pressure levels in check.
- Powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, facilitates absorption of essential minerals and nutrients, especially calcium.
- Vitamin B6 – plays an important role in more than 100 enzymatic reactions in the body. Necessary for formation of haemoglobin. Also aids in blood sugar control.
- A good source of pectin which helps relieve constipation problem.
- Probiotic bacteria – these feed the friendly and beneficiary bacteria in the gut and the short chain fatty acids present is important for digestive health.
My Favorite recipe is RAW BANANA FRY:
Raw banana, oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split black gram, salt, pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder.
Wash and peel and raw banana and slice them. Coat them with salt, chilli powder, pepper powder and turmeric. In a non-stick pan add 2tsp oil, add mustard seeds, split black gram, cumin seeds, and add the coated banana to this. Sprinkle some water and let it cook covered for 10 minutes. Cook opened for 2 minutes.
Enjoy this with roti, rice and dal and a side sabzi.